Author Topic: A cheap solution for those with crappy quality shells  (Read 3667 times)

Offline hatthewmartley

• View Profile
I got the Joyzz controller from Krikzz directly around 2 months ago, and what a brilliant bit of kit it is. Easily the fastest response wireless controller on the market, second to none. But I feel he really skimped out on the plastic quality and the printing. It feels really cheap and brittle. On my controller, after just 2 months, the start button label has already started to fade. Not good at all for a supposedly premium product. I even had a whinge here on the forum about a replacement shell, which seemed to get me nowhere. So I pre-ordered the new Retro-Bit officially licensed controller, purely just for the shell. This was only £15 posted here in the UK. I've linked it below. It arrived today and the quality is fantastic. It could be passed off as an original, official controller any day. So I did a straight PCB swap and I now have a very tasty Sega-branded wireless controller. I put the PCB from the Retro-Bit pad into the Krikzz shell, where it will live out it's life as a very decent player 2 controller. Nice to see that even the moulded plug is Sega-branded too.

It's a shame that Krikzz doesn't seem to want to address this issue or offer any kind of compensation, but to be honest, even if he did offer me a replacement shell, I'd have refused after seeing these new officially licensed controllers at such a great price. He should start selling the PCB separately so that people can put them in shells of their choice, because the board itself is phenomenal.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration-eu/
https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H3S5NNS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_hF87CbKM5R2ZF
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:13 PM by hatthewmartley »

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
Re: A cheap solution for those with crappy quality shells
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the tip.
It'd be nice if Krikzz sold the PCBs alone, like 8Bitdo's "Do It Yourself" product line..

Offline hatthewmartley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Yeah, that'd be fantastic. The PCB is amazing but the shell falls a bit short.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 03:53 AM »
Great, and the controller is an officially licensed product. ::) unbelievable
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Nice, looking good. But how does the top look like? Where the cable from the Retro-bit used to be?

These sell for €25 (£22) excl. postage where I'm from though, dafuq.
SD2SNES | EverDrive-GBA X5 Mini | EverDrive-64 v3 | Mega EverDrive X7 | EverDrive-GB X7 | EverDrive N8 NES | Joyzz | PSIO | GDEmu

Offline hatthewmartley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:22 PM »
It's just a square hole, a little bit bigger than the hole on the Joyzz controller

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 03:00 PM »
It's just a square hole, a little bit bigger than the hole on the Joyzz controller
So that leaves you with an open hole on top of the Joyzz controller?
SD2SNES | EverDrive-GBA X5 Mini | EverDrive-64 v3 | Mega EverDrive X7 | EverDrive-GB X7 | EverDrive N8 NES | Joyzz | PSIO | GDEmu

Offline hatthewmartley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 03:09 PM »
You need a hole for the USB charging socket. The hole in the retro-bit shell is just a little bigger because there was a cable there originally. No big deal really.

Offline Torgod13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 08:49 PM »
I just replaced both of mine. But I did have to modify the shells a bit to make room for the guts.
Specifically removing the peg dead center of the controller that was stopping the board from seating and had to cut the circular extension in half to match Krikzz design so not to pinch the battery.  But after that it all came together beautifully, no creaking sound anymore and feels solid.  Thanks for the tip!!!

Offline hatthewmartley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Yeah, I had to do that too. A craft knife and some long-nose pliers, easy! Do you like the end result? To me, it feels like how it should have felt originally.

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28 AM »
Thanks for the picture, I totally forgot about the charging port on the Joyzz :P

Offline Torgod13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 04:45 AM »
I am real happy with it, but I will still need to shave down the sides of the USB port a bit.  If you really look close it's pinching the sides of the port and not seating fully flush between the shells.  Just being picky. 😉

Offline hatthewmartley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 03:04 PM »
I know what you mean. I cut out the 2 tiny square pieces of plastic in the USB port hole and the plug goes in there nicely now. It's a shame there's such a big hole above it but I'll live with it, unless you have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:05 PM by hatthewmartley »