Author Topic: Frame rate drops. SD card speed issues?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: Frame rate drops. SD card speed issues?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 06:41 PM »
Are there Chinese clone everdrive GBA out on the market yet? Cause that would be very dodgy...

Offline Lordofuo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I do not. I am using GBIHF on a gameboy player through GCHD mk2 and an rgb scart cable into a PVM-2030. Maybe the occasional stutterer can be attributed to something in that chain?

I doubt it's your GB Player.
It may be your hacky software. Have you got the original Nintendo disc to try it with?
Failing that, it sounds like you might have a dodgy everdrive.

Just tested on gba player with official disc and slowdown is still there.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I do not. I am using GBIHF on a gameboy player through GCHD mk2 and an rgb scart cable into a PVM-2030. Maybe the occasional stutterer can be attributed to something in that chain?

I doubt it's your GB Player.
It may be your hacky software. Have you got the original Nintendo disc to try it with?
Failing that, it sounds like you might have a dodgy everdrive.

Just tested on gba player with official disc and slowdown is still there.

Well let's check first before we definitely blame your Everdrive.
What game did you play to check your slowdown issue.
I'll try it on my Wide-boy.

Some GBA games do have minor slowdown issues regardless of how you play them.

Offline Lordofuo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Hey, I appreciate that. I notice it the most on Metroid Zero Mission.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 08:29 PM »

Ah, well that pretty much puts that to bed.
I played through both Zero Mission and Fusion like 3 weeks ago and there was no slowdown at all.  :(

'Natural' slowdown in GBA games is very rare. Far fewer games suffer with that than on machines like the SNES and Megadrive.

Do you have any original carts to test your player with?
Preferably a game that you know has the slowdown issue when you use the everdrive?
It's highly unlikely to be the player, but that's the last thing I can think to test before you send your everdrive back.

Offline Lordofuo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 08:49 PM »

Ah, well that pretty much puts that to bed.
I played through both Zero Mission and Fusion like 3 weeks ago and there was no slowdown at all.  :(

'Natural' slowdown in GBA games is very rare. Far fewer games suffer with that than on machines like the SNES and Megadrive.

Do you have any original carts to test your player with?
Preferably a game that you know has the slowdown issue when you use the everdrive?
It's highly unlikely to be the player, but that's the last thing I can think to test before you send your everdrive back.

Crap. Even in the spots in chozodia with all the space pirates? Frequent slowdowns there. I’ve long lost my original copy of zero mission but I will buy a copy and test it out before sending my everdrive back. Thanks for the help.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 09:03 PM »
Metroid games are ones that people should definitely own original copies for. Well worth it!

I believe I played pretty far on my everdrive never had any problems in the games. I played through Zero Mission using the patch that lets you have control over your weapons and items like in Super Metroid, in order to be able turn off abilities as you need to. No issues that I can remember.

In Fusion, I'm actually right that point in the water area where you can do the shine spark trick to get a secret message. I'm lousy at doing it, but want to do it, so I haven't gone further into the game.

I was playing from a GBA-SP AGS-101 "Bright".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:06 PM by Galron »

Offline Lordofuo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 02:54 AM »
Update:

Got a copy of Fusion in. Popped it in and started a new file. Noticed the stuttering STILL. It's not the Everdrive. Pulled the GCHD out of the chain and used S-Video directly into my PVM. Same story.

Looks like its either my Gamecube, the Game Boy Player, or these games just have a little stuttering every now and then and I'm just OCD enough to notice it...

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Update:

Got a copy of Fusion in. Popped it in and started a new file. Noticed the stuttering STILL. It's not the Everdrive. Pulled the GCHD out of the chain and used S-Video directly into my PVM. Same story.

Looks like its either my Gamecube, the Game Boy Player, or these games just have a little stuttering every now and then and I'm just OCD enough to notice it...

Oh man. That is weird. No idea what that could be then.