Author Topic: Everdrive GBA X5 and battery?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline LK

• View Profile
Everdrive GBA X5 and battery?
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:58 AM »
This got way longer than intended, main question is bolded!

I recently bought an Everdrive GBA X5 to help me complete the Gen 3 Pokémon National Dex and, so far, I’ve been incredibly satisfied with the product! Games run perfect and saving is not an issue.

My concerns arose when I decided to use the Pokémon WC3 tool to distribute Pokémon events to the saves files located on my EDGBA. The WC3 tool accepts .SAV, .SA1, and .SA2. Meanwhile the EDGBA creates only .FLA saves. Instinctively, I convert the .FLA to . SA1, knowing that such an operation is perfectly fine, and WC3 does its thing, injecting events just fine.

However, I bootup the newly exported (and converted back to .FLA) save file only to find that the EDGBA loads a savefile that I had already deleted! Huh???

Skipping 5 hours of trouble shooting, I realize the EDGBA was keeping track of it’s own saves separate from SD using the battery. Therefore, this question arises:

What happens to save files and the Everdrive when the Everdrive GBA’s battery runs dry?

Are they deleted like a GB cart?

Are they overwritten by a dead battery?

Are they kept, but incapable of being overwritten?

Does the EDGBA start reading and writing from only SD?

I thought the battery was only for RTC??

Is replacing the battery necessary to continue normal gameplay?

For those wondering, here is the forum post on WC3:
https://digiex.net/threads/pokemon-gen-3-mystery-gift-tool-download-inject-nintendo-events-wondercards-more.14863/

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive GBA X5 and battery?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 04:53 AM »
Yeah that's odd.
Like you, I thought the battery was just used for the RTC. I thought saves were written straight to the SD card...

Hmmm

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive GBA X5 and battery?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:01 AM »
The cart have sram, you need to force import it when reloading the same game, loading other sram game then loading the target game may work too. The thing is, when Everdrive detected you are loading the same game again it will use the data on sram (no point in doing backup operation, saves battery).