Author Topic: Can I load GG games using Master Gear converter?  (Read 21018 times)

Offline jazzppp

• View Profile
Can I load GG games using Master Gear converter?
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:38 AM »
So I read that this works with the master gear converter for the game gear to play SMS games on the game gear. Great, but would this also allow me to load and play game gear games (on the sdcard) onto a game gear using the tototek Master Gear converter too?  Or would I only be able to play SMS games onto the game gear?

I know there's a GG everdrive, but I'd like to have one card that would work with both since I already have a converter. I'd like to be able to play SMS games on the SMS system and Game Gear system, and use this cart to play Game Gear games on the Game Gear with the converter.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: Can I load GG games using Master Gear converter?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:07 PM »
I know there's a GG everdrive, but I'd like to have one card that would work with both since I already have a converter. I'd like to be able to play SMS games on the SMS system and Game Gear system, and use this cart to play Game Gear games on the Game Gear with the converter.
no way, if you only want 1 card get a GG everdrive it plays both GG and SMS roms, 2 choices having a master everdrive stickin out a big ugly converter and only playin SMS roms or a GG everdrive...do yourself a favour get a GG everdrive and chuck your converter in the bin lol buy a master everdrive for your SMS console....but then again if you just buy a master everdrive for both you will more or less have all the games anyway they identical but you will not be able to play GGshinobi etc...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:11 PM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:25 PM »
You actually can if you modify your SMS converter. It involves bridging a couple of pins (don't remember which ones they are) but you could always wire up a switch instead. The menu is a little messed up if you do this, but at least you can play GG games this way.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35 PM »
You actually can if you modify your SMS converter. It involves bridging a couple of pins (don't remember which ones they are) but you could always wire up a switch instead. The menu is a little messed up if you do this, but at least you can play GG games this way.
interesting maybe this is the mod u need jazppp
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline jazzppp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses, I may look at the mod, that wouldn't be too hard to mock up if I knew what to bridge. Apolloboy, do you have a link to that info? I didn't see it on here.

I do have a Mega Everdrive, so I can play SMS games on the Genesis already, but I want to play them on the original SMS and be able to use the 3-d glasses I have. It's more of a collector's thing than a pirate/play games thing, I have about 50 original SMS carts, including all the 3-d titles, except for Line of Fire which was never released here, so I was looking at it for more of a convenience to not have to swap out or carry a bunch of cartridges, more than anything else. Same deal with the Game Gear.... packing 1 cart to go is a lot easier on the luggage/car space.

I doubt I'll really play the game gear enough to make a GG-Everdrive worthwhile, which is why having 1 card for both systems would be the best solution.

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses, I may look at the mod, that wouldn't be too hard to mock up if I knew what to bridge. Apolloboy, do you have a link to that info? I didn't see it on here.
Looking at the GG cart pinout:

You want to bridge together pins 42 (GG) and 41 (ground). Doing that will force the system to boot into Game Gear mode, but if you still want to use the Master Gear for SMS games, wire up a switch instead of bridging the pins.

Offline thx1138

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I did this and works great put a switch in my SMS converter.
Use master system mode to pick a game gear rom once it starts to load i flick the switch in to game gear mode works great :)

Offline snstay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Is there a reverse one of these? Where you can play game gear games on a master system. Kind of like a super gameboy. It would be cool to be able to get a game gear everdrive but without the annoying game gear.

Offline jazzppp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23 AM »
No reverse possible... game gear games have too large of a color palette. I saw a utility to convert game gear games to MD bins, but couldn't get it to run on modern systems (os compatibility issues with the tool itself).

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23 PM »
There are currently 5 GG games you can play on a master system (with the Master Everdrive) or on a Genesis/MD with one of those two ED models in SMS mode. This is done by IPS patching the 5 games as needed to not freak out the SMS. It's only possible on these 5 (and maybe a handful not yet converted) since their color pallets are almost fully compatible with SMS specs.

The 5 games are:
Aleste II / Power Strike II
PAC-MAN
The Berlin Wall
Frogger (Prototype)
Pop Breaker

Link to the IPS patches and more info:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/segahacking/gg2sms.html

Offline snstay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 01:53 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the info. Well its a start anyway.

Offline Wesker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40 PM »
There are currently 5 GG games you can play on a master system (with the Master Everdrive) or on a Genesis/MD with one of those two ED models in SMS mode. This is done by IPS patching the 5 games as needed to not freak out the SMS. It's only possible on these 5 (and maybe a handful not yet converted) since their color pallets are almost fully compatible with SMS specs.

The 5 games are:
Aleste II / Power Strike II
PAC-MAN
The Berlin Wall
Frogger (Prototype)
Pop Breaker

Link to the IPS patches and more info:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/segahacking/gg2sms.html

It's not just those five games. Those were the ones converted by Chris Covell long ago, but there are more Game Gear to Master System conversions. Especially now it's becoming a trend thanks to noted Master System programmers like vingazole.

http://www.slevinproduction.com/mastersystem/

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:29 AM »

It's not just those five games. Those were the ones converted by Chris Covell long ago, but there are more Game Gear to Master System conversions. Especially now it's becoming a trend thanks to noted Master System programmers like vingazole.

A trend?  Those 7 have been converted for quite awhile.

Offline Wesker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25 PM »

A trend?  Those 7 have been converted for quite awhile.

Galaga 2, Tempo Jr, Puzzle Bobble and Fatal Fury Special have just been released or are going to be released soon, so you are not quite right about these. There's also The GG Shinobi which isn't that old either and it's actually still being fixed by vingazole.

The ones which have been available since long are the Chris Covell's conversions (10 years ago) and both Sonic games (5 years ago).

Offline J-E

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 07:39 PM »
good evening everybody (it's actually the evening at home)
Just for the experiment, I tried to load a game gear rom with my master everdrive (bought at the official seller near Toulouse retroconsole) and it doesn't work (one of the error message appeared on the screen). So OK, it will never work like that, go back to the SMS roms. but it seems that le game won't load, the screen stays at the message beginning with "back up ram" et ending with "ok: 000000C0"

Does anyone could help me to get the everdrive working well as before.
I'm with the OS7

thanks and now I will see the destruction of "Les Bleus" by "Die Mannschaft"

edit:sunday night, the things are running well....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:04 PM by J-E »