Author Topic: GBA Sleep Issue  (Read 2245 times)

Offline thtroyer

• View Profile
GBA Sleep Issue
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:44 AM »
I've have a possible Everdrive X5 issue with my GBA.

I have a self modded GBA (AGS101 clone screen with Bennvenn's voltage regulator and brightness controller).

Everything works as expected except when I use a game's sleep mode with the Everdrive. I can wake the Gameboy back up as expected if I do it right away (L+R+Select). However, the longer it sits, the less likely it will wake up. After about five minutes, the GBA almost certainly won't wake up. The green light stays on, but no display or audio will resume.

This happens with all games I've tried on the Everdrive as well as PocketNES when it sleeps. I recently tried a real cart's sleep function (Super Mario Advance 2) several times today and the GBA would sleep for hours and woke up every time, so I don't think it's an issue with my Gameboy hardware.  I wish I had another device to test with, but at the moment, I don't.

So, are there any known issues with the Everdrive causing GBA sleep issues?  Any workarounds?  I've had the Everdrive since October last year   (purchased through RetroModding) and I believe I updated the firmware when I got it.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: GBA Sleep Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Its your unofficial hardware as I just tried it with minish cap 10 mins in sleep mode on a GBA SP AGS-101 and no problems at all

Online Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I've have a possible Everdrive X5 issue with my GBA.

I have a self modded GBA (AGS101 clone screen with Bennvenn's voltage regulator and brightness controller).

Everything works as expected except when I use a game's sleep mode with the Everdrive. I can wake the Gameboy back up as expected if I do it right away (L+R+Select). However, the longer it sits, the less likely it will wake up. After about five minutes, the GBA almost certainly won't wake up. The green light stays on, but no display or audio will resume.

This happens with all games I've tried on the Everdrive as well as PocketNES when it sleeps. I recently tried a real cart's sleep function (Super Mario Advance 2) several times today and the GBA would sleep for hours and woke up every time, so I don't think it's an issue with my Gameboy hardware.  I wish I had another device to test with, but at the moment, I don't.

So, are there any known issues with the Everdrive causing GBA sleep issues?  Any workarounds?  I've had the Everdrive since October last year   (purchased through RetroModding) and I believe I updated the firmware when I got it.

Was there a way to turn off the sleep mode on PocketNES? I recall PCEAdvance (Premade version from Smokemonster) having a way to turn off Autosleep but I can't remember the latter having a way to do it... even more so SNESAdvance has no way to get out of sleep mode either.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline thtroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:44 PM »
Its your unofficial hardware as I just tried it with minish cap 10 mins in sleep mode on a GBA SP AGS-101 and no problems at all

Well, that's hardly a conclusion at this point. If it were my modifications, I would expect sleep mode to be broken for all carts, but that's not the case.

I'm going to be doing another build (with one of those new IPS screens), so I'll have an unmodified GBA to test with in a week or so.

Online Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:31 AM »
Okay I did some further research on how the sleep mode is avoided across all GBA modes on the X5 it varies amount emulators too

GBA = Sleep mode is deactivated when pressing L+R+Select in any game play mode this also counts for emulators

PocketSNES/SNESAdvance = Sleep mode cannot be turned off on this emulator but it seems pressing A and B and start and select stops it from going onto a black screen after a long time of inactiveness on a GBA.

PocketNES/VisualNES = This has an autosleep off feature so this will stop the device turning it self off no mater how long the device is left idle, if it goes into sleep mode the usual button input that Nintendo made with the NES classic series works here too.

PCEAdvance = This also has an autosleep off feature and as before I think you can get off the black screen doing the same input if it's left on.

SMSAdvance/GGAdvance = These both have an autosleep off feature just like the other emulators they can be left idle for as long as you want in gameplay and will never make the screen turn off as long as the feature is set to off.

NeoGeo Pocket = I haven't used this emulator for a long time but I don't think it ever had one

Goomba = As with the other emulators this also has the feature

Though speaking of Sleep Mode, I never really understood the reason why it was implemented way back on the near end of the Gameboy lines series of consoles. I could understand on a DS or 3DS it was vital as it ran on a rechargeable battery but the GBA used normal batteries excluding the SP and you could always replace them. Those handhelds were known to burn themselves out and have new batteries each and every time they were overused... so yeah the whole sleep mode thing seemed awkward for the GBA to me!

*Contrary to popular belief the device still goes into sleep mode even if the screen is not closed when on, having a genuine AGS-101 device and a more sturdy refurbished one which had an even brighter screen than the genuine one I tend to love using more did it*
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:51 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline EverStranger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Incoming wall of text:

I have issues myself with my unit (agb) that has the funnyplaying v2 IPS screen, attempting to take the console out of sleep simply powers the console off. It claims to play just fine with official hardware though. (I'm currently looking to add a legit game with sleep mode to my collection verify this claim). And of course, just to clarify, sleep mode works fine with my everdrive gba on units with official screens and even the gameboy player. The funnyplaying v2 IPS screen allows brightness adjustment (if you solder it into the select, r, and l) by holding select and r to lower it and l to increase it. I'm wondering if the brightness adjustment somehow interferes with sleep mode as it is wired in on the same buttons that trigger the wake function. I'm considering desoldering the cable (it still works without soldering, just with a stuck brightness level of 3, which actually looks fine) to check if that is actually the root causing the interference with the changing of powerlevels during sleep and waking, or if it's the screen itself.

Infact now that I'm thinking about it, the brightness control seems rather.. unstable. I wish I had a way on hand to measure the power levels during play, but I could swear by watching the light that just touching the buttons (select mostly) that the wires are soldered to causes a difference in power draw as the gba light goes from green to red. This is just playing a game mind you, not adjusting brightness. Considering that, it sees a bit unstable.

I suppose I could fiddle with the potentiometer, though I'm not seeing any jitter, with a default screen in some cases you can crank it enough that the unit doesn't want to power on. Given that, perhaps fiddling with the POT adjustment would set the screen power at a level that is compatible with sleep mode.

Another component to consider is the often overlooked batteries. With the SP this is less of a variable, but with the original models most people are probably running on eneloops or another rechargeable that often during use put out around 1.2-1.3ish instead of the expected 1.5v. This typically isn't an issue at all, but when we're dealing with weird powerstates like powering down the screen while leaving the console running, I imagine the wrong batteries could interfere with this process. I certainly wouldn't expect good results from the sunbeam dollar store batteries, most of which aren't even alkaline and are low drain batteries meant for a backup in clocks and the like.  I've been wanting to pickup some NiZn (Nickle-Zinc) batteries as they've recently finally hit production for the consumer market and seem like a good alternative. NiZN runs at 1.65, so who knows how that would work, but I really want to find out.

I agree that it might be a case of unofficial hardware seemingly often conflicting with the everdrive gba x5.

I guess the real question this raises - Is the everdrive gba handling low power/sleep mode states differently than official hardware would? It seems to be, given these conflicts with aftermarket enhancements and hardware.

As krikzz has updated compatibility with clone devices in the past, I'm holding out hope that his minor issue with different screens will be ironed out with time.
Just hoping he notices it and cares enough about it to respond!

Oh and if anyone (especially krikzz <3) wants information, demonstrations, or a teardown and breakdown of the hardware and issues in question, let me know. I'd be happy to provide whatever is requested to further the communities knowledge on these issues and potentially expand compatibility.

Edit:
[And this might not be the right place to complain but the post verification process is kind of arduous. I get deterring bots, but it really makes it hard to report issues with krikzz hardware when the forum interface is unfriendly.For example, I spent about 25 minutes figuring out how it wanted me to input the processor name. There are many ways you could write it but it's picky about accepting variations. I still can't figure out what to input for the president one, I just have to keep inputting wait till it changes to another question. I feel lucky when a post goes through, it really has to be worth saying to make the effort of posting. But I guess that's kind of the point.]
Edit's edit: Oh the verification went away after a few posts , phew, that was an intimidating hazing ritual, but I guess I'm one of you now.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:05 PM by EverStranger »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Putting brightness control on the same buttons used by games is fundamentally a very bad idea. I'd make sure they have their own dedicated buttons.

Offline EverStranger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 05:54 AM »
Putting brightness control on the same buttons used by games is fundamentally a very bad idea. I'd make sure they have their own dedicated buttons.

While I genuinely agree with you, that approach is problematic, I'm also inclined to believe that it is not the cause of the sleep issues on my GBA. I'm still inclined to believe the everdrive handles sleep functions, or at least power levels and states in it, differently than authentic hardware games, and this mismatch is what causes issues with third party or aftermarket hardware

To follow up on this I have purchased both an authentic SMA4:SMB3 cart aswell as a SMA3:SMW2 cart that both function properly engaging sleep mode on this unit.

I believe my GBA everdrive is a rev B, though I doubt that's the issue, I have heard those have more quirks, at least with gameboy players . It functions fine on both my stock AGS001 as well as GBP and AGS101.

I was considering purchasing another funnyplaying ips screen for one of my multiple ags001s. Those are laminated, thus nicer than the agb(hopefully keeps dust out between layers), and has a different ribbon cable which might prevent the issue. But they also are wired to the SP brightness button, so it's certainly less sloppy design. If I get and install one I'll report it if it also experiences this issue.