Author Topic: [EDx7] BPS patch support?  (Read 2220 times)

Offline MofoMan2000

• View Profile
[EDx7] BPS patch support?
« on: November 07, 2019, 03:42 AM »
The IPS patch format is limited in that it can only apply patches to files 16MB or smaller. Some N64 ROMs are as large as 64MB, and some hacks increase the ROM size beyond 16MB as well. Right now the only way to run these patches is to apply them to the ROM file itself and run them directly, but I don't want to do that for a variety of reasons. Most ROM hacks these days are distributed as BPS or xDelta patches, is it possible support could be added to the auto-patch system for these formats as well?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:06 AM by MofoMan2000 »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [EDx7] BPS patch support?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:47 PM »
The IPS patch format is limited in that it can only apply patches to files 16MB or smaller. Some N64 ROMs are as large as 64MB, and some hacks increase the ROM size beyond 16MB as well. Right now the only way to run these patches is to apply them to the ROM file itself and run them directly, but I don't want to do that for a variety of reasons. Most ROM hacks these days are distributed as BPS or xDelta patches, is it possible support could be added to the auto-patch system for these formats as well?

Hi. I put this in my task list

Offline MofoMan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 03:30 AM »
Wow, I didn't expect such a fast and positive response! Thanks a bunch, that'll be great.

Offline Rin Tohsaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 11:19 PM »
Apologies for the major grave-dig on this thread, but I was hoping for information on whether this would still be a thing.

Basically, since this thread was created, the Everdrive X5 was released but it too seems to still only be using IPS/APS soft patching.

So I'm wondering if some problems happened or the like were discovered with regards to BPS soft-patching?