Author Topic: Question about operating temperature, suggestions for the hardware itself, more  (Read 281 times)

Offline skg3

• View Profile
Hey, new Everdrive user. I just received mine today, and it’s great! My Everdrive 64 gets rather warm during use, around the bottom. Not very hot, and it’s able to cool to room temperature within a minute or two. Is this normal? I assume so. Question 2. I ran Kase’s SM64 60FPS mod on my N64 with my Everdrive. The video had gotten completely warped and mangled, so I reset it quickly. Did this do anything to my hardware?

Okay, a few suggestions.
1. Add a wall on the case that goes down to the top of the SD card slot. On my first time trying to insert the SD card, it fell into the case and I had to unscrew it.
2. Make the SD card slot higher on the board. I noticed that the SD card is hard to get out with so little space to get ahold of it. I made a fix for now by getting some scotch tape and folding it on itself with some adhesive still left on the piece of tape. I stuck it onto the SD card adapter so it made a tab.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:04 AM by skg3 »

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
It didn't, a real n64 plays the original Super Mario 64, obviously a 60fps version wouldn't run on it...

As for the SD card, be more careful or glue in edges yourself, creating new injection molds is very expensive, these use existing shell molds.

And as for making the SD card stick out, please no, that will look ugly, just get better at taking it out, you can use something else in order to click it out, it's a click mechanic. Or just take the micro SD out while leaving the adapter in.

Offline skg3

• View Profile
It didn't, a real n64 plays the original Super Mario 64, obviously a 60fps version wouldn't run on it...

As for the SD card, be more careful or glue in edges yourself, creating new injection molds is very expensive, these use existing shell molds.

And as for making the SD card stick out, please no, that will look ugly, just get better at taking it out, you can use something else in order to click it out, it's a click mechanic. Or just take the micro SD out while leaving the adapter in.

The N64 definitely tried... I saw some of the graphics behind the mangled mess. It was running(?). The audio was playing too. It was struggling hard, but it certainly ran SM64 in some form, at least up to the title screen.

I did expect Everdrives to use preexisting shells, and it only happened once.

My Everdrive did not have a click mechanism SD card slot, or it’s just deciding to not do that. I don’t know why.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:05 AM by skg3 »

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
Question 2. I ran Kase’s SM64 60FPS mod on my N64 with my Everdrive. The video had gotten completely warped and mangled, so I reset it quickly. Did this do anything to my hardware?

No, it just doesn't work on N64. Many of Kaze's old mods do not work on real HW

Offline skg3

• View Profile
Question 2. I ran Kase’s SM64 60FPS mod on my N64 with my Everdrive. The video had gotten completely warped and mangled, so I reset it quickly. Did this do anything to my hardware?

I thought it would work since all the hack does is double up on the frames and change the physics to match.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile

I thought it would work since all the hack does is double up on the frames and change the physics to match.

Doubling the frame-rate means the N64 or the emulator has to do double the amount of work to get the graphics on screen, and whilst the normal cartridge version of the game might not be using 100% of the N64's speed (and it probably isn't, there might be a few bits of run-time where the console is waiting for something to happen, or where the game isn't optimised, especially since it was a console launch game so the programmers didn't know how to get the best out of the game), but there's no way the game will be doing nothing for 50% of it's time, so a mod that effectively doubles the frame-rate won't work on a real N64. It should work on a compatible emulator, given a fast enough PC ('fast' being a relative speed, of course, any non cycle accurate emulator (basically all of them aside from CEN64 and MAME) won't need a fast PC at all.