Author Topic: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!  (Read 19948 times)

Offline Link83

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2019, 01:31 PM »

I've only experienced this NESRGB issue with FDS(Stick)/N8/N8 Pro. The NESRGB "decides" randomly if the problem occurs or not on power up/after a power cycle. After that, loading any game or doing a soft reset does not make any difference either way. So I don't think patching games would be a solution, but a system-wide patch may work.
I didnt think it would be possible to patch the games either, but it seems someone created a patch for Super Mario Bros in the reddit thread I linked in my previous post.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:33 PM by Link83 »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2019, 03:34 PM »
It sounds like this is about CPU-PPU clock alignment. There are 4 possible alignments every Famicom and NES could end up with at each boot. If you have a PPU that has this bug and speckles appears in a game you need to boot it into another alignment that works with that game by power cycling it until it works.
Soft reset will not work (not sure if any games even have this). Hard reset might work on a front-loading NES. For a Famicom and a top-loading NES you might need to power cycle since the reset button doesn't reset the PPU on those.

Offline geiger9

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2019, 05:35 PM »
I've been looking at your dealers and it is not available yet on several of them. Is there any ETA when Stone Age Gamer will have this in stock?

Offline marionintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Is there a way to select a random game using the N8 pro? This is a feature I love on the mega everdrive x7

Offline scorpion73

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2019, 10:27 PM »
Hi have a NES RGB modded and with original N8 PacLand shows some glitches in the upper part of the screen.
In particular, the written parte where it is signed the score and all the written rows blink and seems overlapping.
I though it was a bad rom but maybe it can be the problem indicated above.
Is it possible to fix?

Krikzz, when do you think to annunce N8 PRO for NES?

I am really waiting for this card to replace my original N8.

Thanks!!

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2019, 11:00 PM »
It sounds like this is about CPU-PPU clock alignment. There are 4 possible alignments every Famicom and NES could end up with at each boot. If you have a PPU that has this bug and speckles appears in a game you need to boot it into another alignment that works with that game by power cycling it until it works.
Soft reset will not work (not sure if any games even have this). Hard reset might work on a front-loading NES. For a Famicom and a top-loading NES you might need to power cycle since the reset button doesn't reset the PPU on those.

1/4 chances sounds about right, so it's probably this. I guess the root of the problem is on the NESRGB side, though it would be great if a workaround can be introduced on the N8 side, for example by forcing the bug-free CPU-PPU alignment that corresponds to the N8 cart. Maybe KRIKzz can discover if this or another workaround if possible once he gets a NESRGB kit to test.

Hi have a NES RGB modded and with original N8 PacLand shows some glitches in the upper part of the screen.
In particular, the written parte where it is signed the score and all the written rows blink and seems overlapping.
I though it was a bad rom but maybe it can be the problem indicated above.
Is it possible to fix?

I am really waiting for this card to replace my original N8.

Thanks!!

Are you playing on a flat panel via an upscaler or scan converter (OSSC, Framemeister, etc.)? This sounds like the jitter problem that affects the NES and SNES when played on digital displays. If this is the case, you will need to either add a dejitter board to your mod, or replace it with a newer NESRGB board that includes dejitter.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:49 PM by fernan1234 »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2019, 11:45 PM »
I've been looking at your dealers and it is not available yet on several of them. Is there any ETA when Stone Age Gamer will have this in stock?

You better to ask dealers when they plans to get N8 in stock.

In January

Offline Retrothunder

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2020, 01:48 AM »
I have the og N8 and Im seening that bucky o hare isn't working anymore on firmware 1.20

Offline elenion

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Krikzz, once the NES N8 Pro is out, will the old version be sold at a discount? Maybe a clearance sale next Black Friday, like the old ED GB had, after the X series came out?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Krikzz, once the NES N8 Pro is out, will the old version be sold at a discount? Maybe a clearance sale next Black Friday, like the old ED GB had, after the X series came out?

They will be in store until required components available.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2020, 01:18 PM »

1/4 chances sounds about right, so it's probably this. I guess the root of the problem is on the NESRGB side, though it would be great if a workaround can be introduced on the N8 side, for example by forcing the bug-free CPU-PPU alignment that corresponds to the N8 cart. Maybe KRIKzz can discover if this or another workaround if possible once he gets a NESRGB kit to test.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it's possible to do force clock alignment using a flashcart. The Hi Def NES can do it probably because it's adding all kinds of stuff to the hardware. It probably has to be fixed on the NESRGB.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2020, 02:57 PM »

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it's possible to do force clock alignment using a flashcart. The Hi Def NES can do it probably because it's adding all kinds of stuff to the hardware. It probably has to be fixed on the NESRGB.
It sounds like technically the bug is in the PPU, so its not really a fault of the NESRGB or the EverDrive N8. The NESRGB could probably select a specific clock alignment/phase from the four available, but apparently different games respond better to different alignments, and some games cant be fixed at all, so I dont think locking the NESRGB into one specific alignment would really help. Its likely easier to just power the system on/off until you get the desired clock alignment (The reset button will also work on some systems, but not all of them since Nintendo changed the reset circuitry between revisions and some models dont reset both the CPU and PPU when using the reset button)

I think the only solution really is to either get a console with a Rev.H PPU (Later models of AV Famicom, and perhaps later NES toploaders as well) which apparently fixed the issue, or patch each game to disable writes to the PPU_CTRL $2000 register:-
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6221.msg48455#msg48455
I would love to know if this is an option that could be added to the EverDrive N8 - a system wide "Disable writes to $2000 register" - or if this sort of patch would be too complicated and will always require game specific patching.

What I find interesting is that I think this PPU clock alignment bug seems to also affect the stock Composite video output as well:-
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9549.msg72393#msg72393
So the bug doesn't just affect the PPU EXT data that the NESRGB / Hi-Def NES use.

Finally it should be noted that there are some completely unrelated issues which can cause similar problems with flickering pixels/speckles:-
-A number of NES games have flickering pixels near the edge of the screen which was expected to be cut off in the overscan area of a CRT TV, but is visible when using a flat panel TV or scaler (Same applies for many retro systems) this is completely normal.
-There are some game specific bugs that cause similar issues, such as the flickering line in Super Mario Bros 3 just above the status bar:-
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Game_bugs
-The NESRGB and Hi-Def NES can have similar issues if you leave the Q1 composite video transistor on the motherboard:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0cRXP9Du5M
-Finally, if you use a power supply that is poor quality/underpowered (Or evening a failing original PSU) this can also apparently cause similar issues.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:56 PM by Link83 »

Offline samson7point1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Is the N8 Pro NES version still on track to drop this month some time?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Is the N8 Pro NES version still on track to drop this month some time?

yes. probably end of this week

Offline skaman

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Watch people in the US get the NES version before I get the Famicom version that I ordered on BF.