Author Topic: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Akira

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 03:05 AM »
Thank you for the link. Yeah, it doesn't look so good but at least closing the lid can hide it!  ;)
In your video, did you get the Famicom N8 cart to work with the front loader by using the usb flash drive thing to hold it down a little?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 04:21 AM »
In your video, did you get the Famicom N8 cart to work with the front loader by using the usb flash drive thing to hold it down a little?

Yep (:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 06:10 PM »
Looks nice! Volume control for each expansion audio type, FDS disk side button and NES 2.0 support! Not sure what RTC is for but I suppose it could be used by homebrew.

I have a question about the in-game menu. Is it running in parallel to the game somehow or is the game patched (like in-game-hooks of the SD2SNES)? If it has its dedicated button I guess it's running in parallel hardware.

RTC is useful for save files logging.

Patching is not used for in-game menu and save states.
It works this way: Save state core in FPGA constantly monitors cpu bus, FPGA sniffs state of controller buttons and vblank interrupts. Once detected that certain buttons combination is hitted on controller , FPGA will intercept next vblank interrupt and redirect it to save state handler. After than system state will be saved to internal memory we can boot in-game menu, when we will back to game, system state will be restored from internally saved snapshot. If You hit "save state" internally saved snapshot will be moved on sd card. Cart also have option to save without in-game menu, like in original N8, in this case menu booting skipped and snapshot always moves to/from sd card.
Dedicated button useful in case if you use some poor clone which not allow joypads monitoring via system bus, with original N8 you can't use save state at all with such systems.
Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a very clean solution, nice! The dedicated button would be useful if the button combination conflicts with some function in a game as well.

Offline marionintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 04:27 AM »
Congratulations, Krikzz! This looks like a fantastic cart. I am thrilled you started with the famicom version. Ordered mine :)

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 05:55 PM »

Just ordered one  ;D

@KRIKzz: Will there be shell options available besides this clear blue? I'm really attached to the Famicom yellow of my OG N8, it fits so well with my OG Famicom and Famicom accessories that were usually the same yellow. Also, it's great that there will be an option to load/save states without the menu like in the OG N8, it's much smoother that way. I wish this option was available in more cartridges like the GB X7 and Mega X7.

@James-F: Thanks for all the audio work you're doing! And thanks for not forgetting about checking levels for the OG Famicom, even though the AV Fami is a bit more popular. Have you checked out VRC7 for Lagrange Point's awesome soundtrack? The audio sounds very tinny on the OG N8, so I have high hopes for what the new Pro hardware can do for it. It's an old RPG so I'd much prefer to use a Pro with save states, as long as it can match the original sound.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 07:21 PM »

Just ordered one  ;D

@KRIKzz: Will there be shell options available besides this clear blue? I'm really attached to the Famicom yellow of my OG N8, it fits so well with my OG Famicom and Famicom accessories that were usually the same yellow. Also, it's great that there will be an option to load/save states without the menu like in the OG N8, it's much smoother that way. I wish this option was available in more cartridges like the GB X7 and Mega X7.

@James-F: Thanks for all the audio work you're doing! And thanks for not forgetting about checking levels for the OG Famicom, even though the AV Fami is a bit more popular. Have you checked out VRC7 for Lagrange Point's awesome soundtrack? The audio sounds very tinny on the OG N8, so I have high hopes for what the new Pro hardware can do for it. It's an old RPG so I'd much prefer to use a Pro with save states, as long as it can match the original sound.

Yes, we going to offer color options soon, once sales madness ends and everything will be shipped (: