Author Topic: SD2SNES PRO: first run. Questions  (Read 3195 times)

Offline legolas119

• View Profile
SD2SNES PRO: first run. Questions
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:31 AM »
Hi

I just received the SD2SNES PRO. 

1) I formatted the microSD in FAT32 and before to start the card for the first time, I put the sd2snes folder in the microsd: in this folder i put all the files from the last firmware and all the needed bios.
Is it correct? in this way I'm sure that the card at the first run will be automatically updated to the latest firmware?

2) Another question: i will put all my roms in a "roms" folder, in the root of the sd. Is it necessary to unzip the roms in order to be correctly detected?

thank you

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES PRO: first run. Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 01:14 PM »
1) That sounds correct. You can just use the sd2snes folder that was extracted from the downloaded zip file, put all the BIOS files in it, then copy it to the root of the SD card. Don't mix files from different firmware versions, they should all come from the same zip archive (except for the BIOS files, save files and cheat files). Nothing in the SD2SNES is updated AFAIK though, it uses the files in the sd2snes folder every time you start, so you can't delete any files. The save and cheat folders are not in the downloaded sd2snes folder but will be created by the SD2SNES the first time you use it.
When you update the firmware you have to copy your save files and cheat files (if you have any) folders to you computer, delete the sd2snes folder on the SD card, unzip the new firmware version (on your computer), copy all your BIOS files and save and cheat folders to the new sd2snes folder then copy this new folder to the SD card root.

It's also a good idea to make backups of your save files to your computer from time to time (and zip them) in case your SD card goes bad.

2) Yes you can have rom files anywhere you want, and it's best to have them in their own folder (or several folders) in the root, separate from the sd2snes folder. If you have a lot of roms you can also have several sub folders where you divide them in alphabetical order or sorted after genre etc. You can also have a separate folder for spc files in the root (or anywhere you want).
Yes you need to unzip all roms and spc files before you copy them to the SD card. The SD2SNES can't extract zip files. Always unzip on the computer before copying any files to the SD card, don't unzip directly to the SD card (not sure if it really matters but that's what I've heard). If you have a lot of roms this can take a while.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:22 PM by nuu »

Offline legolas119

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 01:45 AM »
thank you, it all clear, tomorrow I will try and I will keep you updated!

thank you very much

Offline legolas119

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:01 AM »
yes everything works, I'm trying my games :)

Is it possible, while i'm playing a game, to retunr to the main Sd2snes menu? Or have i to push the RESET button on the console?

thanks

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 12:14 PM »
yes everything works, I'm trying my games :)

Is it possible, while i'm playing a game, to retunr to the main Sd2snes menu? Or have i to push the RESET button on the console?

thanks

Assuming you have in game hooks enabled in the sd2snes menu here are the button combos for different things.

L+R+Select+Start   Reset game
L+R+Select+X   Reset to sd2snes menu
L+R+Start+B   Disable cheats
L+R+Start+A   Enable cheats
L+R+Start+Y   Permanently disable in-game hooks (in case they interfere with game operation).
L+R+Start+X   Temporarily disable in-game hooks (~10 seconds - if you need to get past a glitch but don't want to lose in-game buttons)
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46 PM »
You don't even need to use in-game hooks. You can just hold the RESET button for about 2 seconds I think and it will reset to the SD2SNES menu instead of the game.

In-game hooks may interfere with the games though, so if you are not using them you should turn them off in the SD2SNES option menu. Also if you do use them but encounter a game that doesn't seem to run correctly and those button combos that disables them doesn't work, the first thing you should try is to try the game again with the in-game hooks disabled in the option menu from the start.
I have them always off myself.

Offline legolas119

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 11:57 PM »
thank you guys!

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 01:11 AM »
Which L+R+Select+? input to set auto region in gameplay is to correct the messed up region lock out in game caused from recent SD2SNES updates again?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!