Author Topic: N8 Pro cartridge shell thickness  (Read 1313 times)

Offline vvv

• View Profile
N8 Pro cartridge shell thickness
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:34 PM »
I have noticed that the N8 Pro cartridge, when inserted in the AV Famicom cartridge slot, can wobble quite a bit, unlike the original N8.  It appears the N8 Pro cartridge shell is thinner than the original by about 1mm.  See the attached pictures.  I was able to make the game reset by just moving the N8 Pro cartridge around.

Krikzz, would you consider increase the thickness of the N8 Pro Shell by a 1-1.5mm?  It would be a lot more stable, given the increased height of the N8 Pro.  As it stands right now there quite a bit of play in between the cartridge slot walls and the cartridge itself.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: N8 Pro cartridge shell thickness
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:04 PM »
Actually N8 PRO shell thickness matches to original famicom carts, but old N8 isn't.  Original cart on the photo below

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 11:24 PM »
I have noticed that the N8 Pro cartridge, when inserted in the AV Famicom cartridge slot, can wobble quite a bit, unlike the original N8.  It appears the N8 Pro cartridge shell is thinner than the original by about 1mm.  See the attached pictures.  I was able to make the game reset by just moving the N8 Pro cartridge around.

Krikzz, would you consider increase the thickness of the N8 Pro Shell by a 1-1.5mm?  It would be a lot more stable, given the increased height of the N8 Pro.  As it stands right now there quite a bit of play in between the cartridge slot walls and the cartridge itself.

Why you want to wobble a cartrigde that is in the slot is for me a mystery,if it works,why wobble the cartrigde,explain that please,its like my neosd pro has loaded a rom,and ok,i going to test if its reset if i wobble the cartridge where those are not for made at first.
Those are made for insert them and play  the game,and thats it.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 11:27 PM »

Why you want to wobble a cartrigde that is in the slot is for me a mystery,if it works,why wobble the cartrigde,explain that please,its like my neosd pro has loaded a rom,and ok,i going to test if its reset if i wobble the cartridge where those are not for made at first.
Those are made for insert them and play  the game,and thats it.

Probably because of using on-board button for manual fds swap

Offline vvv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 11:49 PM »
Actually N8 PRO shell thickness matches to original famicom carts, but old N8 isn't.  Original cart on the photo below

Thank you for the reply Krikzz and thank you for the N8 Pro.

Yes, you are correct.  I have also found it can also vary a bit from one cart manufacturer to another. For example, some BANDAI carts are thicker than some ENIX carts.

But I think the N8 Pro could really benefit from a slightly thicker dimension, for stability purposes.  As you know, the US NES Top Loader compensated for the tall NES carts, by having that ugly convex bulge/dome over the cart connector  :)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 12:00 AM »

Thank you for the reply Krikzz and thank you for the N8 Pro.

Yes, you are correct.  I have also found it can also vary a bit from one cart manufacturer to another. For example, some BANDAI carts are thicker than some ENIX carts.

But I think the N8 Pro could really benefit from a slightly thicker dimension, for stability purposes.  As you know, the US NES Top Loader compensated for the tall NES carts, by having that ugly convex bulge/dome over the cart connector  :)

Well, can't change it anyway because it mean new molds manufacturing. Injection mold is damn expensive thing. I could make pcb bit thicker, it will make more reliable connection, but i not sure if such solution isn't hurt cartridge slots then.