Author Topic: Way to ensure my Everdrive X5 is real?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline EBJ7

• View Profile
Way to ensure my Everdrive X5 is real?
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:24 PM »
I bought mine my eBay from an”authorized reseller”. Retrosaikou. It looks just like the pictures, updated to the latest firmware on the site, and plays everything I throw at it. But, it is super finicky with being read in my Gameboy Player for GC. First time I always get a blank screen, I have to insert it, and reinsert and I’ll get a “Gameboy” screen, after a third time of really snuggly putting it in it will boot. Try again tomorrow and it doesn’t read the first time. I have an NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64 everdrive and they all boot and read the first time and I never have to reseat them. I bought them all from Stone Age Gamer but I bought the GBA one on eBay since I needed it sooner. Is there anyway to confirm mine is real, is this a common issue with the GBA EverdriveX5 and the GBA Player?

Offline shiggypoo

• View Profile
Re: Way to ensure my Everdrive X5 is real?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I can’t imagine anyone making counterfeit Everdrives but I guess you never know?  Can you post an imgur link with pics of your cart?

I am having issues with my X5 and GB Player as well. It plays great in every system except for my GB Player (just posted about it this morning) so I’m wondering if new EverDrive X5’s are simply incompatible for some reason? Games boot but constantly freeze while original carts have no problem in the Player.

Have you tried running a diagnostic when you get into the menu? Press select then choose to run diagnostics and post the results... assuming you can get into it to try it. You may want to video it as the results go away pretty quickly if it fails.

Offline EBJ7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I’m actually having no issues with gameplay, once the cart starts I’m able to play just fine. I’ve played 5-6 different titles with about 30-40 combined hours without a single freeze. It’s just getting the GB Player to recognize the Everdrive when powering on.

I was going to suggest your SD card might be the issue but you’re stating it’s a non-issue in other consoles. I’m going to check the pins on my GB Player and see if they are dirty.

Offline shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Ah ok, gotcha!  That is still very strange that it's so finicky to get it to boot.  Do you have another console you can try it in such as a GBA/SP/DS Lite?  Did you try diagnostics anyway just to see how it reports back?

Don't think it's the SD Card for me as I've tried a few different ones and ensured they're FAT32 32k formatted first.  Going to try another GB Player tomorrow to rule out a faulty unit.  Hopefully you can get yours sorted too!  I'm out of ideas unfortunately.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:19 AM »
seems like Rev B is the cause from everyone that reported this problem so far here on this forum

Offline Davestra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Has this ever been resolved?