Author Topic: Everdrive 64 X7 - Screen Adjustment  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Karlos

• View Profile
Everdrive 64 X7 - Screen Adjustment
« on: January 26, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Hi there,

I've got a RGB modded JAP console with an Everdrive 64 X7.
All Games so far are working without any problem.

The only problem I have, is that the Everdrive Menu is not centered.
I canot read the text on the left side.
Is there any option to adjustment the screen?

Thanks,
Karlos

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive 64 X7 - Screen Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 03:58 PM »
Is it a PAL TV? And do games also look off center a bit, but still playable?
PAL TVs have slightly different horizontal timing from NTSC TVs which may make the picture a bit off center. Using RGB you get around the color encoding problem but the timing still matters. The only way I know would be to look for the service menu and adjust the picture.

The problem that the menu is too big for the TV is probably just Krikzz (and wallpaper makers) not considering rules for a graphics-safe area and made the menu too big. It happens for me too (ED64 V2), but I can still read the text because it's not off center. Games are carefully made with a safe area in mind (Nintendo wouldn't allow games that didn't comply with the rules) which is why they never have problems.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:01 PM by nuu »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 07:25 PM »
The problem that the menu is too big for the TV is probably just Krikzz (and wallpaper makers) not considering rules for a graphics-safe area and made the menu too big. It happens for me too (ED64 V2), but I can still read the text because it's not off center. Games are carefully made with a safe area in mind (Nintendo wouldn't allow games that didn't comply with the rules) which is why they never have problems.

If this is the case then why didn't Krikzz do the same as Nintendo and play it safe? I've wondered this about homebrew for the original XBox; Official things (XBox games, the dashboard, etc) show full screen correctly on the original XBox, but homebrew programs (emulators, fan-made game ports, etc) often have an option for the user to correctly set the screen's boundaries, as though the homebrew can't know or detect the correct settings by default.

Offline Karlos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Is it a PAL TV? And do games also look off center a bit, but still playable?

Yes, its a PAL TV. I did not reconize that games look off center.
Only workaround, at least to read the game names, is to use extra characters for the folder names. Like "_____a", "_____b" and so on.

Would be nice to have an adjustment option in the everdrive menu.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Yes it would be best if Krikzz updated the menu to go by the same rules as official games do.
Google your TV and see if there is a way to access its service menu so you can adjust the picture. It's common for CRT monitors to have to be adjusted to fit with whatever source they use, although CRT TVs for home-use might not have it directly available for the user.

If this is the case then why didn't Krikzz do the same as Nintendo and play it safe? I've wondered this about homebrew for the original XBox; Official things (XBox games, the dashboard, etc) show full screen correctly on the original XBox, but homebrew programs (emulators, fan-made game ports, etc) often have an option for the user to correctly set the screen's boundaries, as though the homebrew can't know or detect the correct settings by default.
He probably didn't know about it. It's very common for homebrew to have these kinds of design problems since they don't have to follow any rules. If game companies wouldn't follow them, the console company wouldn't grant them a license and the game wouldn't get a release until they fixed it.
It's a problem with TVs cropping the image inconsistently, and it's not something that can be detected. Broadcast companies and video game companies all have some kind of policy to make sure that everything vital is visible on all TVs. It's called safe area. Some things is ok to crop (like an enemy going off screen), but text in a menu or a HUD are not ok to crop.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:03 AM »
Ya, people need to be careful with that overscan...

ALso wishes that there was someway for these flashcarts to 'shrink' the image down so if you were playing Pal to NTSC you could have it show up on the screen a bit better.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 12:18 PM »
Generally the game has full control of the hardware on consoles. It is not running on top of the flashcart OS like how a PC game running on Windows does or modern consoles do. The game is the OS so to speak on these systems, and frankly that's how I like it. Interfering with the resolution would probably require game-specific hacks.

Offline Lollie

• View Profile
    • Lollie.me
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 02:22 PM »
I'm seeing similar issues (although thankfully not so severe), on a PAL CRT TV with an NTSC console/video signal. Overscan is pretty much impossible to avoid for games, but it would be nice if the OS itself was able to compensate for it — maybe adjustable settings for window width/height and position?