Author Topic: Everdrive N8 Pro and HiDef NES  (Read 2541 times)

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
Everdrive N8 Pro and HiDef NES
« on: February 04, 2020, 04:36 AM »
Hello all,

I just received my Everdive N8 Pro NES edition in the mail today. It works. However, it only works on a non-modded NES.

I have a HiDef NES (using the kit available from Game-Tech US) modded front-loader with the blinking light win mod installed. Is it not supposed to work with the HiDef NES?

The previous generation of Everdrive N8 works just fine.

Please reference the below video for what happens when I bypass the HDMI output on the HiDef NES and use the composite output:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-L2XiNV9RY

When using HDMI out, I get a gray screen for a second then nothing. Also, the red light on the cartridge flashes for a second then does nothing.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you,

MJH

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive N8 Pro and HiDef NES
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:56 PM »
~chirp~ ~chirp~

..this thing on?

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 02:42 AM »
so..

Nothing? Nobody has any advice at all?

Anyone know how to return one of Krikzz's devices?

It's very frustrating to spend a couple of hundred dollars on something that doesn't work, particularly having used the previous generation and several similar products manufactured by the same individual.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 03:05 AM »
so..
Nothing? Nobody has any advice at all?
This question discussed in near thread: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9619.0

Anyone know how to return one of Krikzz's devices?
You can contact with store where you bought it and return. There is no problem at all.

It's very frustrating to spend a couple of hundred dollars on something that doesn't work, particularly having used the previous generation and several similar products manufactured by the same individual.

Hi-Def mod makes changes in system parameters, but everdrive is guilty. oh well...

Offline michel_iwaniec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36 AM »
Interesting result. I've had a Hidef NES for a while and recently got the Everdrive N8 Pro (NES version). It appears to play just fine of my Hidef NES, just like the old Everdrive and the Powerpak.

...now, I do have a particular quirk with my Hidef NES in that I have to "double-click" the power button to make it power-up correctly. And even then it can be a little hit'n'miss with whether it starts or not. But I've had this quirk since installing the mod, and with plain-old-game-cartridges as well as the Powerpak/Everdrive ones.
The double-clicking was suggested by Game Tech and think it might have been due to an early revision or something. It's a bit annoying, but I'm used to it and it only needs doing when switching cartridges. And after some setbacks with modding that were my own fault, I was just happy to get the thing working at all.

I'm only mentioning it because it might be worth trying if this power-button-double-click-method might kick your Hidef NES + Everdrive combination into action? Worth a try at least.

My Hidef NES firmware is the really old stock firmware (2.25 02-17-16)

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 12:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't work. Hidef nes firmware 2.25.

Of course, maybe I just don't know how to "double-click" a power button.

This thing just does not work.

Offline tydoggg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 10:43 PM »
I have an AVFamicom with the HiDefNes mod, which I have used with the original Everdrive N8 Famicom with no problems whatsoever.    I sold the N8 recently, with intent of buying the N8 Pro Famicom as soon as it shows up on StoneAgeGamer soon.   All of these messages about issues with HiDefNes at least have me prepared with some workarounds if I need them.  Maybe I'll get lucky.       

Offline Atse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 10:52 PM »
I have a NES2 with HiDef-NES with a N8 Pro, NES version.

It works for me. Been playing for hours. Using FW 3.01 on the HiDef and 2.03(latest) on N8Pro.

Tested the AV out briefly aswell, worked fine.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 12:03 AM »
I still can't get mine to boot. At all.

How did you format your memory card (fat32 or exfat)? What kind of card are you using? What file allocation size did you set when formatting your card?

It makes no sense. Why would it work for some but not others?

I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks.

Offline tydoggg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 04:20 AM »
I have a NES2 with HiDef-NES with a N8 Pro, NES version.

It works for me. Been playing for hours. Using FW 3.01 on the HiDef and 2.03(latest) on N8Pro.

Tested the AV out briefly aswell, worked fine.

By "AV", what are you referring to? 

Offline Atse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 08:46 AM »
AV=Composite.
I have a 3.5mm jack to composite hooked up as well.

Offline Adamcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 04:01 AM »
Anybody try this with the analogue nt 1st and second gens. (not the nt mini)

Thanks

Offline ckeller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 05:33 PM »
I received my N8 Pro Nes last week and have only had two games it black screens on.  I’m running v2.06.  My setup is a Voultar modded hi def nes top loader.

Offline infidelity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 04:26 PM »
My hi-def frontloader was modded by Jason at Game-Tech, but he swapped out my 72pin zif connector, with one where you dont have to press down the cartridge.

With the N8 Pro, I have to push the cartridge down, but I also have to wedge another cartridge ontop of the N8 Pro to get to turn on. Idk if the pcb thickness of the N8 Pro has anything to do with it? It was alot of trial and error, had to wiggle back and forth to get the N8 Pro to turn on.

Hope my experience helps.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 07:39 PM »
That would make sense, infidelity, however in my case the cart works just fine when using the composite output.

Has anyone been able to make any headway here? I just purchased the NT Mini v2 and am certainly hoping it works with that console.

Anyone else had any luck with the NT Mini v1? I know that Krikzz had stated that he tested it with it, but I would just like to make sure.