Author Topic: I have problems with RAM CART, the games disappear  (Read 674 times)

Offline jordi999

• View Profile
I have problems with RAM CART, the games disappear
« on: April 21, 2020, 12:59 AM »
I have formatted the ram, I have saved the game, I have pressed reset, I have seen the saved game.

I have turned off the console and 5 min later I can play the game without problems.
I have turned off the console and 20 min later it tells me that it has no game and you have to format the rom.
With the same game
How exactly does the BACKUP RAM format work?

THANKS!!!! ;)

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: I have problems with RAM CART, the games disappear
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 01:59 AM »
This sounds like your battery may be dead. I assume you are referring to the RAM cart functionality in the Mega EverDrive? I believe it treats Sega CD RAM the same as loading a cartridge, so to ensure that the data actually gets backed up, make sure to change ROMs. I actually found this out recently myself using my X7 and losing Sword of Vermilion saves. The game holds SRAM on reset, but doesn't actually back that up to the SD card until you load a different game. So I took to loading Sword of Sodan after a reset, and my saves stayed intact.

That's going to be the only way to do it that I can think of until you can swap your battery out.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline jordi999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:17 AM »
Very thanks.

I believe it treats Sega CD RAM the same as loading a cartridge, so to ensure that the data actually gets backed up, make sure to change ROMs.
1 step, reset and change CD?
I try, thanks .
2 Does the battery back up to Sd?
3 What is the real function of the battery?
Thanks, Sarge.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 05:28 AM »
Actually, I think you'll probably want to load in a Genesis game instead to be sure. Someone else will have to clarify how the RAM cart works in this instance, but given that it serves as a backup for multiple games, I would think it would take an entirely different system type, so to speak, if one considers the Sega CD a "game".

There are also options I don't appear to have in my firmware (3.04) listed in the guide for 3.06, which have Game SD to RAM and Game RAM to SD listed. Perhaps those would also achieve what you need to do.

The battery is just there to hold the contents of the SRAM until a new game is loaded up. Lower-tier models require a reset/manual save, from my understanding, whereas the upper ones put a battery in so you don't lose your saves if you forget to save them yourself.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline jordi999

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 01:16 PM »
OK, I will replace the battery and test.

THANKS