Author Topic: Newbie questions sorry  (Read 1637 times)

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
Newbie questions sorry
« on: April 09, 2020, 11:46 PM »
I have tried to find a "step by step" deal for this, and searched through many of the forum posts for the last few days with no avail.  I recently aquired a 2.5 everdrive and of course no SD card  :'(
I am trying to set up but I get a screen of no fat system found.  I have set up the sandisk micro with a file of TBED with the os.pce in it and roms on another folder both beside the TBED folder and within it with no change.  Where am I going wrong?
Thank you in advance and sorry for the newb question.  This one is a bit different from the sega one I have been using for some time. 

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: Newbie questions sorry
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 12:39 AM »
If you're in Windows, right-click your drive letter for the MicroSD card and click "Properties". It will tell you what your file system is. If it reads FAT32, you should be fine, but if it's something like NTFS or exFAT (very possible), you need to reformat to FAT32 before putting the TBED folder and ROMs on there.

Apologies if you've already done this and are still having issues!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 12:44 AM »
So I take it I need a smaller SD card then.  Or will a partition work?  I have a 64 card, I do not think I have any smaller ones around the house. 

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 12:49 AM »
You can still format a 64GB card into FAT32, you'll just need a different program to do so. Windows won't let you do it with its format tool.

I'm pretty sure the last time I had to format a larger card, I used FAT32 Format: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Just make sure you're formatting the right drive!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:53 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:57 AM »
I just swapped over to my mac, it allows it.  round 10 coming up hahaha

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 01:12 AM »
Cool, good luck! It's annoying Windows won't let you go to FAT32 for larger drives.

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 01:20 AM »
yea, still no luck, tired with the os.pce on its own, in a TBED folder nothing.  I am "unzipping" to the card, this is correct right?  Would you or anyone have a screen shot of a SD that works so I can arrange mine properly if I am not?  Sorry for being a pain, I get it, I normally am one answering quesions in my own fields for stuff. ugh. 

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 04:05 AM »
I went and transferred files to the mac for giggles, it appears to work this route, I guess going back to windows messed up something on the format style.  So now I am going to load the roms, is there a limit to how many I put on, or do they need to be split into different folders, if so where do folders go? along side the os? or above?

Figured it out.  I kept them under 400 each.  Thank you for the help!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 04:43 AM by mopar_fxr »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 06:31 AM »
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier - been tied up with work the rest of the day. Glad you got it working!

I just threw the Smokemonster pack on mine. If you find a smaller card, though, you may want to use it, since the whole ROM set doesn't take up much room at all.

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 07:27 AM »
No problem I appreciate the help! 
Yeah, when I come across another smaller card I will prob just swap it over at this point.  I grabbed a 64 cause it was dirt cheap, I am just outside of Chicago so we are on a stay at home deal with all of this so that was my only shot at grabbing a new card for the moment haha. 
I loaded something like 1200 roms on here, I had an old set that has been added to for some time, so I just took them all and figured its there ha. 

Thank you again for steering me right!

Offline CasiusXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 08:04 PM »
I was having a very similar problem and this is what possibly fixed it:

1. Format in FAT32 with 32kb clusters
2. Make your game folders 200 files or smaller
3. Used a Sandisk 16GB HCSD I

Offline mopar_fxr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 09:35 PM »
I was having a very similar problem and this is what possibly fixed it:

1. Format in FAT32 with 32kb clusters
2. Make your game folders 200 files or smaller
3. Used a Sandisk 16GB HCSD I

Yeah, I used a Samsung - EVO Plus 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card formatted on an iMac to MS-DOS (FAT) and I got roughly 400 per folder and so far I have not run into an issue. 

Offline tomritts

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Hey guys, I have the same issue and don't know what else I can do to solve it.

I have an 8 GB Kingston micro ssd, formatted with FAT32 and 32kb sectors. 450 ROMS on it in 3 folders. OS.pce in the TBED folder.
And when I put it into my PCE I only get a grey screen. Nothing else loads up. What to do? :(

Offline tomritts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Problem solved, thank you