Author Topic: What is causing this? AGS-101 GBA, Everdrive X5  (Read 1565 times)

Offline frozenyoge222

• View Profile
What is causing this? AGS-101 GBA, Everdrive X5
« on: July 17, 2020, 06:59 PM »
https://imgur.com/jyWrEca

It happened once a week or two ago and now it happens every five minutes to every hour. I lose all unsaved progress.

In the above-posted video, as you can see, I leave the glitchy screen up for a long time. When I do this, the Everdrive loads with various error messages several times before working like normal. If, on the other hand, I turn off the GBA immediately upon crash, the Everdrive has no problem loading everything as normal.

It is ALWAYS on screens where a text box appears; the phenomenon does not seem to be triggered by any animation or action, as one time it froze when a dialogue text box was open and nothing else was happening.

I was 30 hours into the game when it started in addition to 20-30 minutes of play in many other games.

Is it a display mod issue? An Everdrive issue? Switching SD cards does not prevent this from happening, so it can't be that. I do not have an additional Everdrive to test it with, nor an additional GBA.

I have not played enough of another game to see if it happens there, but I have just started a new game of FF6 to casually compare translations, and I will post an update.

Offline lopenator

• View Profile
Re: What is causing this? AGS-101 GBA, Everdrive X5
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 07:57 PM »
This is essentially what's happening to all of us http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9973.0

It seems to happen when something taps my cart

Honestly I don't know. Do you think it's the same thing? Maybe it is, maybe it's not.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:05 PM by lopenator »

Offline frozenyoge222

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:49 PM »
Why would it be happening to all of us at the same time?? For reference I received mine in mid-December

Offline deepfriedchips

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:19 AM »
Has this issue been rectified?  StoneAgeGamer has the x5mini up on their site, and im keen to pick one up, however reading about all these issues has made me think of holding off for now...

If it has been rectified, what PCB version should i be keeping an eye out for?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31 PM »
StoneAgeGamer has the x5mini up on their site, and im keen to pick one up

It seems the same problem happens to both the regular Everdrive GBA X5 and the mini model.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 02:00 PM »

It seems the same problem happens to both the regular Everdrive GBA X5 and the mini model.

I never noticed that then again I heard of posts that batteries run out on the device too fast as well. Then again I don't think I have ever really played a GBA rom more than 15mins and mostly used my X5 as a emulation station, so likely that is what has been preserving life in it?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline KillerQ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 10:04 PM »

I never noticed that then again I heard of posts that batteries run out on the device too fast as well. Then again I don't think I have ever really played a GBA rom more than 15mins and mostly used my X5 as a emulation station, so likely that is what has been preserving life in it?

That sounds cool. What all are you emulating? What’s your setup?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 10:15 PM »

That sounds cool. What all are you emulating? What’s your setup?

Game Folder Set Up for Emulators...

Hudson PC Engine & NEC TurboGrafx-16 *These are emulated by PCEAdvance and are setup in alphabetical order as of now I can only use the pre-made romset that used XGFlash2 a now obsolete application that apparently could convert PCE roms to work on GBA*

Nintendo Game Boy & Game Boy Color *These are emulated by Goomba and setup the same way as the normal full set does it*

Nintendo NES & Famicom *These are emulated by PocketNES and setup the same way as the normal full set does it*

Sega Game Gear *These are emulated by SMSAdvance and setup the same way as the normal full set does it*

Sega Master System & SG-1000  *These are emulated by SMSAdvance and setup the same way as the normal full set does it*

Super Famicom & Super Nintendo *These are emulated by PocketSNES and SNESAdvance and setup the same way as the normal full set does it of course this meant I had to convert every single game which I only halfway did leaving it at the Super S-Z section of the
Japan folder to still do though the thought of changing values so that games display correctly makes me want to do more which I intend to fix this one up better in the near future*

SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color *These are emulated by... and are setup the way it was premade I have no idea how to add my own to this*
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:44 AM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline KillerQ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 06:50 AM »
That’s awesome. Last I heard, the GBA can only run a select few SNES games properly, though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:42 AM by KillerQ »

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 01:02 AM »
That’s awesome. Last I heard, the GBA can only run a select few SNES games properly, though.

Yeah. The ones that Nintendo ported. Lol

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 01:17 AM »

It actually was capable of running a lot of games if their was enough time and effort making each and everyone of them work, it had something to do with changing values and settings to display backgrounds to be in the foreground or making HUD's appear... it's been quite along time since I had a go at correcting them but my fixtures do make me want to go back to redoing them in the end.

Post changed: