Author Topic: Everdrive upgrade program?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Everdrive upgrade program?
« on: May 23, 2020, 05:22 AM »
Is there an upgrade program for ones that bought the X5 to Mini?

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive upgrade program?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:47 AM »
Hahaha!

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:08 AM »

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 04:30 PM »
Hahaha!

Whats funny?

You are, buddy!   ;)
If you want the new version, get your wallet out.
I very much doubt that we're entitled to some kind of discount because we bought an older model a couple of years ago. Lol

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Hahaha!

Whats funny?

You are, buddy!   ;)
I very much doubt that we're entitled to some kind of discount because we bought an older model a couple of years ago. Lol

It hasn't been unheard of for Stone Age Gamer to offer a trade up program. They did it with the FXPack Pro, think it was only for a limited amount of time though.

Offline mofoofinvention

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:44 PM »
uuhh, yes there has been upgrade programs before.

Hahaha!

Whats funny?

You are, buddy!   ;)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:54 AM »

Sarcastic comments aside, Stone Age Gamer usually has upgrade programs when an everdrive version becomes obsolete. Follow them on twitter to check when/if it will happen. They also have a discord you can join.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Is this really an 'upgrade' though... more of a sidegrade... It's just the same features in a miniture case...

Whereas going form SD2SNES up to the SD2SNES Pro/FXPak Pro was a major jump.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Is this really an 'upgrade' though... more of a sidegrade... It's just the same features in a miniture case...

AFAIK the FXPAK PRO doesn't currently have any additional features over the original SD2SNES, so its not really what I would consider a 'major jump'. Sure the hardware is improved and could theoretically support things like the Super Game Boy in future, but those extra features could be a long way off (Remember how many years it took for the SD2SNES to gain Super FX and SA-1 support) [<EDIT>Just one week after this post and Super Game Boy supports randomly appears for both the original and Pro!] Based on the current features, the SD2SNES -> FX PAK PRO is more of what I would consider to be a sidegrade.

IMO flash carts that actually are major upgrades are things like:-
EverDrive GB -> EverDrive GB X7
EverDrive N8 -> EverDrive N8 PRO
Mega EverDrive X7 -> Mega EverDrive PRO

Sidegrades are things like:-
Super EverDrive v2 -> Super EverDrive X5
EverDrive 64 v3 -> EverDrive 64 X7
EverDrive GBA X5 -> EverDrive GBA X5 Mini

Sure the newer carts are likely to receive support for much longer and could receive new features in future, so if you are buying your first flash cart you may as well buy the new versions. However if you already own one of these carts and are trying to decide if you should 'upgrade', then you can only really compare them based purely on the current feature set of each cart.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:00 AM by Link83 »

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 07:33 PM »

Just do what I've done, buy the new one if you want it, and sell the old one online.  You won't take a massive hit on the older one either, there's always a market for these things.  Yes Stone Age did a trade-in a few times but to be honest, you could have gotten more $ reselling them. 

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 08:48 AM »
There are upgrade programs sometimes but depends on where did you buy it.

Just do what I've done, buy the new one if you want it, and sell the old one online.  You won't take a massive hit on the older one either, there's always a market for these things.  Yes Stone Age did a trade-in a few times but to be honest, you could have gotten more $ reselling them.
This is the easiest solution.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 03:19 AM »

AFAIK the FXPAK PRO doesn't currently have any additional features over the original SD2SNES, so its not really what I would consider a 'major jump'. Sure the hardware is improved and could theoretically support things like the Super Game Boy in future, but those extra features could be a long way off (Remember how many years it took for the SD2SNES to gain Super FX and SA-1 support) Based on the current features, the SD2SNES -> FX PAK PRO is more of what I would consider to be a sidegrade.

IMO flash carts that actually are major upgrades are things like:-
EverDrive GB -> EverDrive GB X7
EverDrive N8 -> EverDrive N8 PRO
Mega EverDrive X7 -> Mega EverDrive PRO.

Sidegrades are things like:-
Super EverDrive v2 -> Super EverDrive X5
EverDrive 64 v3 -> EverDrive 64 X7
EverDrive GBA X5 -> EverDrive GBA X5 Mini

Sure the newer carts are likely to receive support for much longer and could receive new features in future, so if you are buying your first flash cart you may as well buy the new versions. However if you already own one of these carts and are trying to decide if you should 'upgrade', then you can only really compare them based purely on the current feature set of each cart.

My point is from a hardware standpoint SD2SNES/FXPRO is a more powerful chipset, for room for improvement... If it isn't there yet, its just because it hasn't been made yet, but the room to upgrade is there... Stone Age did a trade in for SD2SNES to SD2SNES Pro/FX2, because the cost difference, and the future upgradeablity. THey continued to sell the older model as well at reduced price for anyone who didn't care to upgrade.

My point was that GBA X5 and GBA X5 mini are essentially the same hardware, just form factor changed a little. There is unlikely to be any 'major upgrades' in the future. Hence me calling it a 'sidegrade'.... Theoretically there is possiblity of an x7... but that would be the ony 'upgrade'...

As for Everdrive GB, its closest direct evolution was Everdrive GB X5 which was noticably faster/better memory, but didn't add any new features.... or the potential for new features.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:23 AM by Galron »

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 05:00 AM »
My point is from a hardware standpoint SD2SNES/FXPRO is a more powerful chipset, for room for improvement... If it isn't there yet, its just because it hasn't been made yet, but the room to upgrade is there... Stone Age did a trade in for SD2SNES to SD2SNES Pro/FX2, because the cost difference, and the future upgradeablity. THey continued to sell the older model as well at reduced price for anyone who didn't care to upgrade.
I was only sharing an opinion, that based purely on the current feature set the FXPAK PRO is not yet what I would consider to be a major upgrade. The hardware is definitely improved, and i'm sure given time there will be new features that will not be possible on the original SD2SNES, but at present if somebody already owned an SD2SNES I wouldn't say it was worth spending an extra $200 to upgrade just yet.

My point was that GBA X5 and GBA X5 mini are essentially the same hardware, just form factor changed a little. There is unlikely to be any 'major upgrades' in the future. Hence me calling it a 'sidegrade'.... Theoretically there is possiblity of an x7... but that would be the ony 'upgrade'...
I completely agree that the EverDrive GBA X5 Mini is a 'sidegrade'.

As for Everdrive GB, its closest direct evolution was Everdrive GB X5 which was noticably faster/better memory, but didn't add any new features.... or the potential for new features.
Not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean purely based on cost? If so then yes the EverDrive GB X5 was the EverDrive GB's direct replacement. However I was talking about which carts could be considered a 'major upgrade', and I wasn't counting the cost price in the comparison. I was simply comparing which carts had the greatest jump in features, and thats why I listed the EverDrive GB -> EverDrive GB X7.

Anyway, I only wanted to share an opinion, and wasn't trying to start a disagreement.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:12 PM by Link83 »

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 08:34 PM »

It hasn't been unheard of for Stone Age Gamer to offer a trade up program. They did it with the FXPack Pro, think it was only for a limited amount of time though.

Looks like they've offered just that, check out front page of Stoneagegamer.

They're offering $40 for non mini X5 GBA