Author Topic: Save states no longer work  (Read 245 times)

Offline one_street

• View Profile
Save states no longer work
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:46 AM »
Hello All,

Can anyone advise on this issue?  I have had my Everdrive N8 since 2016 and absolutely love it.  A new issue though--the last week or so, suddenly, there is no save state functionality.  I didn't change anything, but when I press Select+B or Select+A, nothing happens.

In an effort to fix this, I reformatted my SD drive and started from scratch, re-downloading the latest EDFC and re-transferring my ROMs.  Still the same issue.

Any assistance very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Save states no longer work
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:54 AM »
load/save combination is up+start/down+start

Offline one_street

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:29 PM »
Not sure I follow.  The keystrokes changed for save/load states?  I tried holding up and pressing start, and down, and still nothing happens.  Tested on a few different ROMs.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:34 PM »
Check to see what your save state shortcuts are. Since you did a fresh install, you might have it set to something different.

Also, did you transfer over all your saves? On an original N8, there's a limit to how many save files you can have before you can't write anymore, so you may need to back up your old ones to make room for new saves. I ran into this at some point along the way myself.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline one_street

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:40 PM »
How do you change the shortcuts?  (Sorry for noobishness).

I didn't transfer any saves, and don't care about any of them.  Should be all empty currently.

All I want is to be able to press a button to create a savestate, then press another button to load it.  The odd thing is it worked perfectly for several years with the default select+B and select+A.  Then suddenly, nothing.  No changes to software, hardware, anything.  SD has remained in cart and cart has remained in NES (un-modded, standard, good ol' 1985 front loader) the whole time.  All the ROMs still work perfect well, and all the buttons on the control work.  It's just like playing on a natural cart--there is no savestate.  I tried various button combinations, but nothing reacts.  Does't appear to "try" to create a save, nothing looks glitchy.  Just nothing happens.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 02:14 AM »
Hit "Select" to bring up the menu, then select "Options". You'll want to make sure "Save State" is set to on, and that the "Save State KEY" and "Load State KEY" are set to the combination you want.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

Offline one_street

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 03:34 AM »
Did not even know there was an options menu.  Ha.  All works perfectly now.  Wonder how it got changed.

Many, many thanks good sir.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 04:39 AM »
Awesome, glad it's working great! :)