Author Topic: Sunsoft 5B on N8 NES  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Darkbond

• View Profile
Sunsoft 5B on N8 NES
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:17 PM »
Sorry if this is a common topic with this, but I spent around a month on and off looking into if I could play Gimmick with full sound with the N8 NES (including pinned posts here and searching pages back). Answers I found over time was that I needed a AV Famicom or a modded NES. I Finally got my hands on a AV Famicom + the cart converter, but it still didn't work. I looked further for a few hours and tried suggested mappers and different OS builds, but nothing worked.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong? or do I just need the N8 Famicom/Pro to have this work? I already wasted a lot of time, effort, and money so I'm trying to make sure I have all the facts before I do more

Just to make sure, what I currently have:

- Everdrive N8 NES
- AV Famicom
- NES to Famicom Converter
- OS version 1.23

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Sunsoft 5B on N8 NES
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Yes you need the Pro, the original N8 have too low level on expansion sound output, so the expansion sound volume will be almost inaudible and drowned out by the APU sound.

Offline Darkbond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52 PM »
Yes you need the Pro, the original N8 have too low level on expansion sound output, so the expansion sound volume will be almost inaudible and drowned out by the APU sound.
Ok thank you very much. I'll just try to get my hands on the famicom pro version. Looks like shipping is weird right now. Assuming because of covid

Offline FME-7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:55 PM »

Not necessarily, but it is quiet. Gimmick!'s sound effects and such sound exactly as they should with a real cartridge, on this Famicom of mine.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 10:32 PM »
Huh I can hardly hear them on mine.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:15 PM »
You could try to increase the volume in the options, but that might not be sufficient.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 11:56 AM »
It isn't sufficient on mine. Real Famicom carts with expansion audio works like normal.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:57 PM »
For original Famicom users, the Pro is highly recommended to get proper balance on expansion audio games. The internal audio on the OG Famicom is very loud, and what the OG N8 can do for expansion audio is not high enough.

Offline ka55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 10:55 AM »
For original Famicom users, the Pro is highly recommended to get proper balance on expansion audio games. The internal audio on the OG Famicom is very loud, and what the OG N8 can do for expansion audio is not high enough.
Does this also happen on the Famicom AV or only on the original Famicom?

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 02:57 AM »
Does this also happen on the Famicom AV or only on the original Famicom?

I think the old N8 is more balanced on AV Famicom but I'm not sure if it's perfect.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 04:43 AM »
Something I didn't think of, but does the cart converter you're using wire up the expansion pins as well? Maybe that's the issue if you're not getting anything out of it. I know quite a few Famicom-to-NES converters don't wire up the necessary pins for expansion audio (including the Hyperkin one I have).

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5189.0

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=11677
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:51 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 12:58 PM »
The majority of converters doesn't wire those four pins (45, 46, 48 and 49), and doesn't support games that use four-screen or expansion sound because of that.