Author Topic: Mega ED Pro  (Read 19182 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Mega ED Pro
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Oh it's that many? I think it could still be more than that, since it's enough for a game to use a hybrid of Mark III mode (VDP mode 4) and legacy settings, like the TMS9918 VDP's sprite zoom setting, for an SMS game to break on MD. If a game only uses pure SG-1000 legacy features, it can't really be called an SMS game though, it's an SG-1000/SC-3000 game.

I guess it could be possible to intercept any access to SG-1000 legacy hardware and reroute them to an FPGA clone in the Everdrive, and let it use the Mega Drive hardware for everything that is supported (like the PSG, RAM and controller ports). SC-3000 would probably require an FPGA clone of the keyboard hardware as well, and some way to hook up a keyboard.

I'm mainly interested in using the MD hardware (i.e. MD and SMS games), but I wouldn't mind if these flashcarts could be used as an alternative to a MiSTer in some cases.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:44 PM by nuu »

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 07:52 PM »
Krikzz was asked to compare his with the MegaSD and replied....

https://mobile.twitter.com/krikzz/status/1270858930239963141

If you want some unbiased conclusion then wait for reviews, if you interesting in my own point then next features at least: much faster loading, save states for sms, nes core, better price, DRM free updates, regular size, RTC for save states logging, USB for devs

I will admit the SMS save states are cool, though I get that on the Master ED X7.  There's still PLENTY of SegaCD or SMD specific questions to answer though on this.  Cart shell size means nothing to me, though I kinda like the SVP sized MegaSD shell. 

Takeaways from the video, well unlike most, I couldn't give one iota about NES emulation.  I mean come on, seriously?  It's a SEGA console, and who here doesn't have an NES?  Also, the menu, come on Krikzz!  Why are you using the same atrocious text-based menu in this thing?  Granted the MegaSD's can leave a lot to be desired but at least it's not just text.  Lower price is probably the biggest appeal to this.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Yes, the Everdrives have always been quite affordable compared to other quality flashcarts. I kind of agree with you on the NES, but I'm also not complaining. If it got a powerful FPGA it might as well be used for other things than the Mega CD.
I also prefer the black Mega Everdrive universal cartridge.

If the Pro will have everything the X7 has, it seems a much better deal than Mega SD. But I'm not sure about the compatibility for the X7. Anyone that knows what games aren't supported for it besides Virtua Racing?

Mega SD
Price: €232 (expensive and usually out of stock)
Region free: Yes (MD, Mega CD and games, electrically and physically)
Cartridge compatibility: Supports all mappers and save types for MD, 32X and SMS (so 100% compatibility, not sure I believe that)
Mega CD compatibility: (doesn't say)
ROM memory size: (doesn't say)
RAM memory size: (doesn't say)
Save states: 8 slots, MD cartridge games only
Cheats: MD cartridge games only
In-game-menu: MD cartridge and CD games
Other features: Mega CD RAM cart (per game), SMS FM Unit, MD+ support (MSU-1-like thing for MD)
Other note: Updating is a hassle and tied to the serial number of each cartridge.

Assuming the Pro is like X7:

Mega Everdrive Pro
Price: $199 (expensive for an Everdrive)
Cartridge compatibility: SRAM and EEPROM saving and at least some mappers supported
Mega CD compatibility: (still unclear)
ROM memory size: up to 16MB
RAM memory size: up to 256kB
Save states: MD cartridge and SMS games (not sure about CD games)
Cheats: (not sure of details)
In-game-menu: MD cartridge, SMS cartridge and Mega CD games
Other features: Mega CD RAM cart (per game), SMS FM Unit, USB port, RTC, hassle-free updates, FPGA NES clone, SMS pause button, "Mega Key", supposedly "much faster loading" than Mega SD
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 10:23 PM by nuu »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 04:49 AM »
I couldn't give one iota about NES emulation.  I mean come on, seriously?  It's a SEGA console, and who here doesn't have an NES?
I agree.

Also, the menu, come on Krikzz!  Why are you using the same atrocious text-based menu in this thing?
I disagree here, less is more in my opinion.
I like the simple menu.

Lower price is probably the biggest appeal to this.
Lower price is a huge factor in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:54 AM by FeverDrive »
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 05:48 AM »
Krikzz will probably allow for open source menu's like ED64, SD2SNES anyway, but I'm just saying, why not change it up, do something a little more polished?  This is supposed to be the "Pro."  Obviously the SMS IGM/Save States are an advantage, but to me the price and availability will make the difference for MED Pro buyers. 

One thing I would give Terra Onion credit on is that their game compatibility, and just general testing is thoroughly done PRIOR to release.  Yes they have firmware updates, but aside from that SSD3 audio issue, the MegaSD pretty much does as advertised on the box.  Now contrast that to this forum as it is, overflowing with problems on the N8 Pro alone, which has been out for quite some time now.  Yes, Krikzz seems to get to the bottom of most of these errors in a reasonable time, but it's still a minus.  Terra Onion normally produce a traditional retail product that doesn't need a years' worth of further development.  The MODE *seems* like a truly finished product for instance.  Whether that is the truth is another story, as there's so many optical disc dumps out there to cause havoc.  So while Krikzz pricing is 25% lower, you're still receiving a homebrew product in need of additional dev and lacking a finished menu.  There's a tradeoff.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:50 AM by Greg2600 »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 07:13 AM »
Not sure it's the same Terraonion we are talking about.

Some of their products are good some were rushed and caused a lot of drama.
Maybe they have learnt and the last wave of products is finally stable with no weirdness at launch.

Wrt to MegaED Pro I expect all of the features of X7 + MegaCD support ... what degree of compat I do not know ... and we'll see how it goes. To be sure Sega is the platform of preference for Krikzz (he said so himself many years ago) so we may see fixes coming relatively quickly.
If the final price is right I'm in (I heard 199US$ but we'll see how resellers would fare it) ... I bought MegaED v1, v2 (X7) and I see myself getting the Pro ... I still have both my v1 and v2 around as I have more than one MD/Genesis, so I kept the old v1 too (I don't actually need SVP, SMS FM support ... as for that I have v2 plus original VR and original JP SMS .... I am set one way or another, but I do like that krikzz closed the gap).

I own both a Mega/SegaCD 1 and Mega/SegaCD2 (for my MD1 and MD2) but they are getting old, temperamental and may as well put them under moth balls.

I was in no hurry for the MegaSD so this announcement of Mega ED Pro is welcome  ... and I like the spartan char only menu ... reminds me of CLI/terminal ;-)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:41 AM by phoenixdownita »

Offline Turbine Graphics 16

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Is there any particular reason that the everdrive x7 can't do what this does, that has an fpga too.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Is there any particular reason that the everdrive x7 can't do what this does, that has an fpga too.

Even if some very simplified MCD core fits in smaller x7 fpga then there is still limits related to memory bus bandwidth.  X7 has single dedicated memory bus, but PRO has dedicated bus for every memory chip, 4x total. Also MCD require CPU for cdd handling and x7 does not have one

Offline Neto

• View Profile
    • Neto Hacking Home Page
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 10:18 PM »

Even if some very simplified MCD core fits in smaller x7 fpga then there is still limits related to memory bus bandwidth.  X7 has single dedicated memory bus, but PRO has dedicated bus for every memory chip, 4x total. Also MCD require CPU for cdd handling and x7 does not have one

Is possible to add SRAM support ($A130F1 reg) to X-Series when SEGA Mapper (aka SSF Mapper) is in use?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 05:36 PM »

Is possible to add SRAM support ($A130F1 reg) to X-Series when SEGA Mapper (aka SSF Mapper) is in use?

SRAM support for SSF mapper was here from day one on Mega EverDrive, evern Mega v1 supports it. Extended SSF mapper specification was made specially for using Mega EverDrive possibilities. Not sure if it just typo, but you should use 0xA130F0 (not 0xA130F1) and word access when using this register. http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/pro-series/extended-ssf.txt

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 12:13 AM »
I realize this is probably a dumb question, but I have never owned an EverDrive and I'm still trying to understand something about save game support.

It has been stated that NES games will not have save state support.  With that being the case, does that mean that it is not possible to save NES games at all?  Or would they still be able to use native game save functions in games that allow for saves - Final Fantasy, Zelda, Tecmo Super Bowl, etc.

Similarly for Sega CD games, will it be possible to save games that supported saves, even without save state support?

Offline Neto

• View Profile
    • Neto Hacking Home Page
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 12:30 AM »

SRAM support for SSF mapper was here from day one on Mega EverDrive, evern Mega v1 supports it. Extended SSF mapper specification was made specially for using Mega EverDrive possibilities. Not sure if it just typo, but you should use 0xA130F0 (not 0xA130F1) and word access when using this register. http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/pro-series/extended-ssf.txt

Thanks for your reply.
Its is $A130F1 - Regular games uses this reg to access SRAM.
I have followed the SEGA Doc (see attachment) about bank switching. Where registers use odd address.
I have both official Everdrive MD and X3, but if I did not anything wrong in a test with Everdrive I get the bank 0 remapped when using $A130F0 and not SRAM Access which crashed the game due to vectors getting remapped.

I have made a hardware ( https://www.neto-games.com.br/hardware/sonic_delta_40Mb_hardware.php ) based on Sega Doc and it works. But if I can get it working in Everdrive is a great addition to, because is more easy writing to SD, than burning EPROMS when tests in real hardware is needed.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 06:30 AM »
would they still be able to use native game save functions in games that allow for saves
Yes.

Similarly for Sega CD games, will it be possible to save games that supported saves, even without save state support?
This should be supported by the new MD Everdrive Pro.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Yes, the Everdrives have always been quite affordable compared to other quality flashcarts. I kind of agree with you on the NES, but I'm also not complaining. If it got a powerful FPGA it might as well be used for other things than the Mega CD.
I also prefer the black Mega Everdrive universal cartridge.

If the Pro will have everything the X7 has, it seems a much better deal than Mega SD. But I'm not sure about the compatibility for the X7. Anyone that knows what games aren't supported for it besides Virtua Racing?

Mega SD
Price: €232 (expensive and usually out of stock)
Cartridge compatibility: Supports all mappers and save types for MD, 32X and SMS (so 100% compatibility, not sure I believe that)
Mega CD compatibility: (doesn't say)
ROM memory size: (doesn't say)
RAM memory size: (doesn't say)
Save states: 8 slots, MD cartridge games only
Cheats: MD cartridge games only
In-game-menu: MD cartridge and CD games
Other features: Mega CD RAM cart (per game), SMS FM Unit, MD+ support (MSU-1-like thing for MD)
Other note: Updating is a hassle and tied to the serial number of each cartridge.

Assuming the Pro is like X7:

Mega Everdrive Pro
Price: $199 (expensive for an Everdrive)
Cartridge compatibility: SRAM and EEPROM saving and at least some mappers supported
Mega CD compatibility: (still unclear)
ROM memory size: up to 16MB
RAM memory size: up to 256kB
Save states: MD cartridge and SMS games (not sure about CD games)
Cheats: (not sure of details)
In-game-menu: MD cartridge, SMS cartridge and Mega CD games
Other features: Mega CD RAM cart (per game), SMS FM Unit, USB port, RTC, hassle-free updates, FPGA NES clone, SMS pause button, "Mega Key", supposedly "much faster loading" than Mega SD

Compatiablity on the MegaSD, I've tried most games on it. Particularly some problem ones (that don't work to well with consoles, emulators, and the like) with unlicensed game, some strange mappers/copyright protections such as Beggar Prince. THese all work just fine.

There is still some work to get some of the Mega/Sega CD games to work, or improve on them as some have some bugs IIRC, dound cuts out, or other graphical issues.

I use a Mega SG so I can't guerentee how things will work on original hardware or not.. But i've heard some problems I've encountered were most likely to thee Mega SG, and indeed many of those got fixed with later firmware.

I haven't hit any problem with any SMS game as far as I know...

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Krikzz was asked to compare his with the MegaSD and replied....

https://mobile.twitter.com/krikzz/status/1270858930239963141

If you want some unbiased conclusion then wait for reviews, if you interesting in my own point then next features at least: much faster loading, save states for sms, nes core, better price, DRM free updates, regular size, RTC for save states logging, USB for devs

I will admit the SMS save states are cool, though I get that on the Master ED X7.  There's still PLENTY of SegaCD or SMD specific questions to answer though on this.  Cart shell size means nothing to me, though I kinda like the SVP sized MegaSD shell. 

Takeaways from the video, well unlike most, I couldn't give one iota about NES emulation.  I mean come on, seriously?  It's a SEGA console, and who here doesn't have an NES?  Also, the menu, come on Krikzz!  Why are you using the same atrocious text-based menu in this thing?  Granted the MegaSD's can leave a lot to be desired but at least it's not just text.  Lower price is probably the biggest appeal to this.

Ya as an owner of Mega SD already, I've thought about just buying a Master ED X7 specifically for SMS games... and save states.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:28 PM by Galron »