Author Topic: Mega ED Pro  (Read 23564 times)

Offline ccateni

• View Profile
Re: Mega ED Pro
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2020, 04:47 AM »
Question...
Is there a way to do the MD+ rom with the mode 1 thing everyone keeps mentioning?
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do it?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2020, 03:47 PM »
TerraOnion, says none of that was ever an issue with their cart, they made sure the power draw conversion was right from the get go.
It's still not about power draw, it's about logic level translation for the communication lines.
Even shitty Chinese pirate carts (hopefully) at least uses 3V voltage regulators to supply the 3V parts with, or else they would probably break down after some use.

Offline NerdyBros

• Pixels Never Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Looks like these are shipping on EverDriveMe  ;D Just put my order in for a "Transparent Smoke" one. Can't wait!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2020, 12:06 PM »
Released!

I'm just missing the x7 shell with notched sides for the Pro.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2020, 07:15 PM »
TerraOnion, says none of that was ever an issue with their cart, they made sure the power draw conversion was right from the get go.
It's still not about power draw, it's about logic level translation for the communication lines.
Even shitty Chinese pirate carts (hopefully) at least uses 3V voltage regulators to supply the 3V parts with, or else they would probably break down after some use.

My point is I showed them your posts, and they said it has none of those problems. TerraOnion are not using shitty  'chinese parts'... THey didn't say 'draw power'....

Some people are bringing up this feature on the 'pro'. Is this an issue on the MegaSD?

level translation for all lines

A few years ago, some older Everdrives were criticized for having insufficient voltage translation between 3V and 5V parts (although the situation was probably not as bad as it was first given the impression of). The Mega Everdrive X7 is the last Everdrive still in production that seemingly doesn't have sufficient level translation for all control, data and address lines (the X5 and X3 do though). From pictures it looks like the Pro has this though, so the criticism will probably be history with the release of the Mega Everdrive Pro.

it's about translation of logic levels (voltage) between parts. The SD card for example is a 3.3V part and is not tolerant to 5V which the MD is using, and the FPGA might also work on 3.3V only. So it's necessary to convert the communication between the 3.3V and 5V parts so that each part works with its expected logic level. Many pirate and bootleg carts from China (but not any official Everdrives) are skipping this part entirely and doesn't even have resistors to limit the the current, which means they are potentially dangerous to the hardware (although this varies a bit between different types of hardware). I have no idea if Terraonion's stuff are correctly built or not though.
    Soon someone might post a reassuring video from BennVenn (who is in the Flashcart business for the Game Boy) where he "proves" that all pirate carts are totally safe, but I'm quite sure that that statement simply is not the truth. This is a hot and infected topic with lots of business interests and probably personal feelings involved.

Todd
    Admin

Re: MegaSD vs Everdrive MD Pro....

22 Jun 2020, 19:51
No.

All of our devices since day one were engineered correctly.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:23 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2020, 07:26 PM »
On a side note, I asked about why they also include MD+, if Mode1 was 'good enough'...

They pointed out obviously their cart supports Mode1 standard, too (if people want to use it, obviously its needed to run Sega CD games in general), but MD+ is easier to develop for.... There wasn't alot of work out there on creating Mode1 game patches... While there is alot of MD+ patches out there.

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2020, 09:43 PM »
I have a few questions about the Mega CD core.

1) Will bin+iso+wav and bin+iso+mp3 dumps work, or does it have to be a single bin+cue?
2) What is the naming convention for multi-disc games?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2020, 03:08 AM »
BTW bin+iso+mp3 should be avoided.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2020, 03:39 AM »

1) Will bin+iso+wav and bin+iso+mp3 dumps work, or does it have to be a single bin+cue?

Pretty sure nothing can handle MP3 out there... Everything has to be wav based.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2020, 08:22 AM »

Manual here:
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/pro-series/mega-ed-pro-manual.pdf

Offline Megalith

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2020, 10:22 AM »
REDUMP files of Sega CD works?

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2020, 02:26 PM »
REDUMP files of Sega CD works?
Only if they are single bin + cue. In my experience most Redump rips aren’t.

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2020, 05:32 PM »

Manual here:
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/pro-series/mega-ed-pro-manual.pdf

Multi disk images
For using multi disk images they all should have the same name, but with the number of disk
in the end. When game will require another disk system will swap it automatically.

- Does each disk need a separate cue file?
- Does the first disk need the number too?
- Does the number have to be appended in a specific format?

I may be dense, but I am new to this, and the manual needs more detail or examples to explain how to name the files.

For example, I have Dracula Unleashed.  The bin files are named "DRACULA UNLEASHED CD1.bin" and "DRACULA UNLEASHED CD2.bin".  Will those work, or does it have to be the number by itself at the end?  In other words, does it have to be "DRACULA UNLEASHED1.bin" and "DRACULA UNLEASHED2.bin"?

Offline ophone

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2020, 08:31 PM »
What's the maximum of memory space in micro SD cards to be used with the Pro?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Only single bin+cue supported. Redump multi-bin images can be be merged using this tool: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/mega-everdrive/pro-series/cdfix/
Just put cdfix.exe in folder with cd images and run it. Works for mac also with mono runtime.

as for multi disk naming: disk names should ends with number and all disks should be stored in same folder, this is the only requirement.  xxxxxx1.bin, xxxxxx2.bin and so on
each disk should have separate cue.
no limits about sd size. Biggest i used was 128GB